Tribute to Steve Irwin 1962-2006

He died doing the things he loved.

When I heard the breaking news of Steve Irwin’s tragic death I was overwhelmed with a feeling of loss, disbelief and grief. I personally had never met Steve, but being an animal lover myself, and growing up living on a one-hundred acre property in what was then Australian bush - I really felt I knew him as did most Australians.

I mean there he was in our living rooms on those nature and animal documentaries; I also went to see his movie when it was first released. Living not far from the Australian Zoo, I have visited it a number of times over the past twenty plus years. We used to take our children and their friends, nephews and nieces regularly when they were small. Sometimes I would take my young son and his cousin out into the bush and we’d go catching lizards and other critters pretending we were like Steve Irwin.

Steve, you were a role model, a kind-hearted and loving individual, a true Australian. In this day and age, when our TV and movie screens are filled with characters that portray anything but what we don’t want our children to be like. You stand as an individual, a shining light of strong moral and family values. You were someone that we were proud for our children to mimic, to follow and imitate. We never heard you swear, curse, or put down anybody.

You had a great love for life and a love for others. You loved your family, it wasn’t just words - you practiced what you preached. It shone out of your eyes, it was obvious to all. We loved your catch phrase “Crikey”, you were a great Australian ambassador.

The Bible says a good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children. You have left your children an inheritance; you have left all of our children an inheritance. We miss you Steve, we are praying for your family and loved ones that you have left behind and we know the Australia Zoo will go on.

Thankyou Steve for being such a great Australian and a strong example of a family man, a loving father and a friend to many.

Rest in Peace,
Dr Shaun Marler.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe.” Smith Wigglesworth.

Honour your man of God

THE LAW OF REPETITION